Year 2 students going into Grade 1, we will be in the big yard helping them find their classes. There will be charts with the homeroom teachers names along with the class list, we will have a list on us to help your children find their classes.
All Year 1 students, your first day of school is Thursday, September 5th.
Year 2 students who are registered for EDP with the WCC, your first day of school is also on Thursday, September 5th.
Friday, September 6th is the day that the remainder of the children will begin school.
There is no school for all Kindergarten students on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Back to school essentials for ALL Kinders - Year 1 & Year 2 students
Please be sure your child arrives to school with:
- Large backpack
- Backpack should be able to fit a large hardcover book, lunch bag and sweater or fall jacket. Keep in mind we are an early start school therefore your child may arrive to school with a sweater/jacket but find it too warm out to wear it during afternoon play. They should be able to fit their lunch bag, sweater/jacket and water bottle in their backpack. Having a backpack large enough to fit a large hardcover will make library books easier for your child to bring to and from school. Have your child practice putting their personal items inside, zipping up and unzipping their backpack.
- Reusable lunch bag, easy to open containers & reusable water bottle that locks
- Hilson encourages a litterless lunch, having a reusable bag, containers and a water bottle facilitate this. Please ensure your child can independently open and close everything. Taking the time to show them how to use everything allows them to be more independent during open snack times and lunch time, allowing them to eat without waiting for help. It also reduces mess as they are less likely to spill the contents of their containers and water bottle if they know how to close everything properly. **Hilson is a nut-free school (K-6).**
- Ziplock with extra change of clothes
- It is not uncommon for Kinder students to need an extra change of clothes. Bathroom accidents, water table play, snack table spills, playing in mud/puddles/sand during outdoor play are just some of the reasons. Please pack a pair of bottoms (pants/leggings), t-shirt, underwear & socks. Label everything, even the socks and underwear. Your child will most likely not recognize any of these clothes, labelling them will greatly help the Kinder team. Feel free to double up on extra clothes if you feel your child would benefit from them. This creates backup in case there are 2 accidents in a day or week.
- Indoor running shoes, preferably velcro
- These shoes will be your child's primary pair of shoes at school. Your child should be able to easily put these shoes on and off. Kinders visit the gym twice a week therefore these shoes should be comfortable to run in.**Please note, ideally these shoes stay in your child's school cubbie at the end of the day. Aftercare parents, it is best to have another pair of shoes for your child to wear at the Children's Centre. This facilitates things for your family as you won't need to lug a pair shoes to and from school and aftercare everyday. They are less likely to get lost in the shuffle.**
- School Supplies & class donations
- The Kinder team will be collecting school supplies during intakes and during the first few days of school. Glue sticks, markers, pencils, pencil crayons, erasers & scissors are all shared items and do not need to be labelled. Items in bold are most needed at the moment. Families that would like to donate craft supplies (pompoms. stickers, foam shapes, washi tape, googly eyes, glitter glue), kleenex boxes and playdough (homemade or store bought) are more than welcome to. These added supplies are always appreciated.
OCDSB School Calendar
Hilson Avenue Public School follows the OCDSB School Calendar for all holidays, PA Days and breaks. Please mark these dates in your calendar or bookmark this link for handy reference.
Upcoming Events, Important Dates & Reminders
Monday, Sept. 2nd - Labour Day
Tuesday, Sept. 3rd - Intake interviews for incoming Year 1 parents and any new to Hilson Year 2 parents
Wednesday, Sept.4th - Intake interviews for incoming Year 1 parents and any new to Hilson Year 2 parents
Thursday, Sept. 5th - First Day of School for all Year 1 Kinder students & all registered WCC EDP year 2 students
Friday, Sept. 6th - First Day of school for all remaining Year 2 students
Friday, Oct. 11th - PA DAY - No School
Monday, Oct. 14th - Holiday - No School
Friday, Nov. 15th - PA DAY - No School
Friday, Dec. 20th - Last day of School before Winter Holiday break
Dec.23rd - Jan. 3rd - Winter Holiday break - No School
Friday, Jan. 24th - PA DAY - No School